Passport Name Change – How to Change a Name on a Passport


Everything You Need To Know About The Passport Name Change Process. Those who are newly married or who’ve gotten a divorce will need to go through the passport name change process. This same is also true for those who have undergone a court-ordered name change. There are two ways of getting this done. U.S. residents can opt for the routine passport service, which generally takes between four to six weeks.

They can also opt for expedited passport services. These will allow them to make all necessary modifications to their passports and be ready for travel within just 14 to 30 days. It is important to note that routine processing can sometimes take longer than the estimated six weeks, particularly during busy travel seasons.

Routine Passport Services

Routine passport services for a name change may be free. U.S. residents will not have to pay any fees for standard processing if applying for a passport name change within one year of the passport’s original issue. To complete this process, follow these steps:

  • Submit Form DS-5504 via regular mail with a certified or original copy of your name change document
  • A color passport picture
  • Current passport
  • Fees

Form DS-5504 can be downloaded online along with relevant instructions.

Changing A Name More Than One Year After A Passport Is Issued

Form DS-5504 is specifically reserved for those individuals who wish to complete name change requests within one year after the issue of their original passports. After a year has passed, however, Form DS-82 must be used instead. This will need to be printed and sent by mail along with the following documents:

  • A full-color passport photo
  • The original passport
  • A certified or original copy of the name change document
  • Fees

Evidence Of U.S. Citizenship

Recent U.S. citizens will need to use a different form to complete the passport name change process. In these instances, it will be necessary to:

  • Submit a completed DS-11 form
  • A full-color passport photo
  • The actual passport
  • The original name change document or a certified copy and evidence of U.S. citizen
  • All required processing fees.

Those who are required to use form DS-11 will not have to complete name change form if this change is due to marriage and if their new names are present on their current IDs.

Expedited Name Change Services

Expedited passport services are optional and can be used by any party who is unable to wait up to 6 weeks for passport processing to come to completion. Irrespective of how long it has been since the original passport was issued, expedited processing will invariably entail additional fees. This process is very similar to that of standard or routine processing, however, applicants will need to:

  • Provide an additional $60 in processing fees
  • Show evidence of their forthcoming travel plans
  • Submit all required documents for expedited processing in an envelope that has the word “EXPEDITED” in bold letters on its face
  • Ensure that these documents are sent to the appropriate address

Expedited applications are received and processed at a different location than name change applications for routine processing. The application will also need to include extra monies for overnight delivery charges. Applicants will get the fastest results by paying for expedited shipping on their end.