Passport for Newborn Babies


With plans to travel abroad, new parents may be confused about where start to get a passport for their newborn. Like the process to get most legal documents that are issued by the government, getting a passport for your baby may seem overwhelming, but the process is simple.

Where Can You Get a Passport for Your Newborn?

First things first. Everyone, regardless of age, needs a passport to travel abroad. To get a passport for your newborn, you must apply at a passport agency or an authorized passport facility since it’s their first time. When you visit the office, you, the other parent, and the child must be present. It’s important to note that there are additional steps that must be taken when both parents can’t be present at the appointment.
What You Need for Your Appointment
It’s always nice to know what to expect when you are conducting official business with the government. With a clear understanding of the process, you can increase your chances of getting it right on your first attempt, which saves you time overall.

Bring Your Child’s Identification
To be eligible for a passport, your child must be a citizen. You can prove that your child is a citizen by producing essential documents that support the fact that your child is a citizen. The following are a few of the documents you can bring to the appointment:

  • Birth Certificate
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Provide Proof of Parental Relationship

As a parent or guardian of the child who needs the passport, you will need to bring information supporting your position. You can make the process easier for yourself by submitting documents that meet multiple requirements. For instance, your child’s birth certificate will satisfy both the need to provide identification for your child and your parental relationship.

Bring Your Photo Identification
Ensuring that you are who you claim you are is a critical step in supporting national security. As a result, you will be required to provide photo identification. Your driver’s license or your current passport will suffice.

Provide Parental Consent
Your newborn is unable to provide consent to get a passport; therefore, you have to do so. The law requires that both parents be present in order to give permission. Consent from both parents ensures that your child isn’t being kidnapped and taken out of the country. If you or your spouse can’t be at the appointment, then you will need to have a notarized and signed form called Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent from the parent that’s absent.

In situations where your child only has one parent, then you must submit proof stating as much. The following are some acceptable forms that will help you move through this step swiftly:

  • A death certificate
  • A court order that grants sole legal custody of your child
  • A declaration of incompetence from the absent parent issued by the courts.

It’s important to note, you can’t submit photocopies of any of these documents. With only original documents being accepted, it’s important that you keep up with your documents at every step of the process.

Completing the Process

Finally, after you’ve submitted all required documents, you will need to provide a photo for your child’s passport. The picture must be in color and be 2” x 2” in size. Additionally, your picture must be printed on photo-quality paper, and it must be recent. It can’t be any older than six months old.

In addition to submitting your color photo, you are required to submit the required forms and fees to complete your application. The following are a few of the most common forms people use when applying a passport for a newborn:

It’s important to bear in mind that passport fees you pay will depend on the type of passport you are getting for your child.