Passport Corrections – How to Make Corrections on a Passport


If you are looking to change or correct your passport we have made this how to correct your United States passport guide to help you along the way. Sometimes getting a new passport or renewed passport back only to find a typo or other mistake! This how-to guide would help you fix errors on your passport quickly. Yes, this can be quite frustrating, but don’t despair – it can be corrected.

Passport Correction Application Eligibility

If it is the mistake of the U.S. State Department due to a printing error, you can get it corrected for no fee using a process called passport re-application.

This service is also available for those who received a temporary passport for use for a year or less and require it changed over to a standard passport with 10-year validity. This might occur after a passport has been lost or stolen while overseas and then replaced at a U.S. Embassy.

How to Apply

Gather the necessary items:

  • The passport with typos
  • Completed Form DS-5504
  • New passport photo (different than your previous photo)
  • Photocopy (front and back) of your driver’s license or any other official I.D. Flight itinerary/proof of travel plans (if an expedited passport is needed)
  • For a correction: proof that the passport information was printed incorrectly (i.e. original or certified copy of your birth certificate.)
  • To change validity: submit a letter from the State Department or U.S. Embassy that lists documents required for this action in addition to the documents on the letter.

Have the application processed in one of the following ways:

  • Mail
  • At a Passport Agency – If faster service is needed, a U.S. Passport Agency can correct a passport on-site. A government fee of $60 will be required for this in-person expedited service.
  • Through a Passport Expediting Business – The most efficient way of all to complete the passport correction process is with a reputable passport expediting company. This service includes the hand-carrying of your documents and applications directly to a Passport Agency; the $60 expediting fee will apply.

How to Correct Passport Application Form after Submission


How Long Does Passport Correction Take?

  • Standard service for a correction by mail takes up to 8 weeks.
  • Expedited corrections through the mail will take 2 to 3 weeks for processing and cost $60 in fees.

The quickest and most efficient methods to receive changes or corrections to your passport is by going to an Agency in person or by using a reputable passport expediting company.

Going to a Passport Agency yourself requires calling the National Passport Information Center and making an appointment. There are 26 National Passport Agencies nationwide, and their main line can be reached at (877) 487-2778 toll-FREE.

A passport expediting service is the most convenient method of all and can result in your receiving a corrected or changed passport in as little as just 24 hours. With this service, there is no need to make an appointment or show up in person at an agency.