DS-82 – Passport Renewal Form


Is it time to renew your passport? Looking for the DS-82 Passport Renewal Form? Well, we got it! People generally don’t think about their passports until it’s time to travel overseas or to another country. Keep your passport up to date, and you’ll never have to worry about rushing and renewing your passport. Passports are generally valid for ten years. However, if you were issued a passport when you were 15 years of age or younger, your passport needs to be renewed every five years.

Time Required to Renewing Your Passport

In many cases, you can mail in your passport renewal, although this may take some time to process. Routine renewal takes four to eight weeks. Expedited renewal takes three weeks. Expedited at an agency takes eight business days and time is based on need. In many cases, if you need faster service, use the expedited option to get a passport in less than two weeks. Sometimes, the expedite service can get you same day approval. That’s good to know if you have an unexpected business trip to another country or if you have a sudden opportunity of a dream vacation and need to get your passport fast.

Criteria for Renewing by Mail or Online

Here are some options to determine if you can renew your passport by mail:

  • If you’ve owned a US passport book in the past and it was issued within the last 15 years
  • Your previous passport was issued when you were 16 years old or older
  • Your passport is undamaged
  • Your name is the same, or you have proof of your name change (original or certified government-issued document or marriage certificate)

Then you can use the DS-82 Form and mail in your renewal. Alternatively, you can also renew online. If any of these criteria are not met, you will have to apply in person. You can go in person at a Passport Acceptance Facility.

Places You Can Go to for a Passport Renewal

Post Office

The post office accepts passport applications from a first-time applicant and for a passport renewal. To get a passport, either way, you must complete the correct form and submit it with the supporting documents and fee. You can download the form or get a copy at the post office and complete it. There is no passport renewal form for a minor passport.

You can have the documents process the usual way. It can take up to eight weeks before you get your new document. You also have your documents process by expediting them. With this option, the process can take up to three weeks until you get a passport. You must pay an extra $60.00 for expediting.

Regional Passport Agency

A regional passport agency can provide an emergency passport or a passport the same day. However, you must submit the form and documents in person. To do so, you must get an appointment by calling the National Passport Information Center hotline number: 1-877-487-2778. You will get a date and time to meet with an agent. You may need to travel outside your state to give your application.

Private Passport Expediting Company

A private expediting company will get you a passport in two weeks or less. It can also get a passport the same as well. One advantage of using an expeditor is you do not need to submit your documents in person. You can mail it in with the fees and have your new passport sent to you. However, you will be responsible for the shipping and delivery cost.

Passport Book or Passport Card?

Depending on what travel you are doing, you may be able to save a bit of money and not get a passport book, but instead get a passport card. Passport cards are more accessible to carry and work at land border crossings and sea ports of entry from Mexico, Canada, Bermuda, and the Caribbean. The passport card will not work for international air travel, even to these countries. Like the US passport book, these cards stay valid for ten years.

If you are traveling by air or to other countries other than those listed above, you will need to have a passport book.