DS-60 – Affidavit Regarding a Change of Name


More often than not, when you need to change the name on your passport, you will be required to submit several forms of legal documentation such as your marriage certificate, a court order, or a decree of divorce. However, if your name has not been legally changed and such documentation is unavailable, you must submit an affidavit of name change (Form DS-60) with your application to change the name on your passport. Do not submit this form instead of legal documentation supporting a name change. It should only be submitted if this documentation is unavailable, or does not exist.

If your name change was not completed through a marriage or formal court proceeding, someone must complete an affidavit for you who have known you by both names. In order to change the name on your passport, you must confirm that you have used the name you are currently using exclusively for no less than five years. When possible, a biological (blood) relative should fill out the affidavit, which is required to be handed in with the application for your passport.

When Submitting a Name Change Application Using an Affidavit

Passport applications which include an affidavit for a name change need to be handed in- in person at a passport agency.

You must provide all of the following documentation at the time of application:

  • Form DS-11. Do not sign until you are instructed to by the passport agent
  • Form DS-60. The Affidavit Regarding Change of Name.
  • At least three documents showing your assumed name has been your only name for at least five years.
  • A photocopy of both sides of your ID, as well as that of all individuals completing the DS-60 form.
  • Evidence of citizenship.
  • A current and valid form of ID.
  • A photocopy of both sides of your ID.
  • All pertinent Passport fees
  • Your passport photo

The acceptance of name changes will be subject to the discretion of Passport Services agents. They will use the documents you present to determine whether or not the name you want will appear on your passport.